The policy sets out the different areas where user privacy is concerned and outlines the obligations & requirements of the users, the website and website owners. Furthermore, the way this website processes, stores and protects user data and information will also be detailed within this policy.
This website and its owners take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. This website complies with all UK national laws and requirements for user privacy.
Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computer hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Other cookies may be stored to your computer’s hard drive by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. Such cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected.
Contact & Communication
Users contacting this website and/or its owners do so at their own discretion and provide any such personal details requested at their own risk. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until a time it is no longer required or has no use.
This website and its owners use any information submitted to provide you with further information about the products / services they offer or to assist you in answering any questions or queries you may have submitted. This includes using your details to subscribe you to any email newsletter program the website operates but only if your express permission was granted when submitting any form to email process.
Your details are not passed on to any third parties.
The owners of this website cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite their best efforts. Users should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.
Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that this website and its owners participate on are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate / engage upon them with due care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal details. This website nor its owners will ever ask for personal or sensitive information through social media platforms and encourage users wishing to discuss sensitive details to contact them through primary communication channels such as by telephone or email.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Shortened Links in Social Media
This website and its owners through their social media platform accounts may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media platforms shorten lengthy urls [web addresses] (this is an example: http://bit.ly/ZN1100).
Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened urls published on social media platforms by this website and its owners. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine urls are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
HOPE worldwide is a registered charity in England and Wales (charity number 1045930). We are also a company limited by guarantee (company number 2659784)
HOPE worldwide promises to take great care with your personal data, and we commit to protecting any personal information we obtain about you, whether you are visiting our website as a supporter, partner, volunteer or campaigner.
HOPE worldwide’s mission
Our mission is to transform the lives of disadvantaged and vulnerable people by delivering high quality programmes that inspire and involve others in compassionate service.
Our supporters help us to achieve this in a variety of ways, primarily by:
- Fundraising and donating money.
- Volunteering at our London programmes or at other charities that we refer them to, that are engaged in helping the homeless and disadvantaged.
- Volunteering overseas with HOPE worldwide
We take active steps to make sure that our supporters are aware of the ways in which they can help us achieve our overall purpose.
Why we hold and process supporters’ personal data
We hold and process supporters’ personal data for a number of reasons:
- To keep a record of donations made and actions taken by our supporters and our communications with them.
- To claim gift aid on donations.
- To send our supporters information about our programmes and other HOPE worldwide programmes around the world, including promotional information, newsletters, fundraising activities and appeals where we have their consent or deemed consent, or reason to believe that there is a legitimate interest.
- To fulfil contractual obligations entered into with supporters e.g. online purchases.
- To record campaigning actions by supporters.
- To ensure we do not send unwanted information to supporters or members of the public who have informed us they do not want to be contacted.
When and why we will send you promotional communications
HOPE worldwide will only contact you for promotional purposes, for example keep you up to date on our work, or let you know of ways in which you can support that work – where we have your consent, deemed consent or we are otherwise allowed to do so. Below is a non-exhaustive list of reasons why we might currently hold your data and believe that we have a legal basis for sending you promotional material:
- Where you have committed to give us a regular donation we will treat consent as enduring until you cancel your donation, at which point your consent will expire after a reasonable period of time from the last donation. This is to enable us to keep you up to date with the impact of your gifts, and to ask whether alternative means of support would be of interest.
- Where you have contacted us because you are interested in volunteering or helping in some other way we will assume that we can retain your personal data and send you newsletters as a result of legitimate interest. You may choose to opt out of these newsletters at any time.
- Where you are a current member of the International Churches of Christ we will assume that you have a legitimate interest in the work of Hope worldwide and send you emails if we hold your email address. This is because the ICOC actively supports the work of Hope worldwide and encourages members to participate in Days of Service with Hope
- Where you have donated to the Charity in the recent past and have been happy to receive emails from us in the last two years without opting out.
- Where you have acted as a canvasser for Hope worldwide by raising money through a sponsored event we will assume that you have a legitimate interest in sending you emails about our work.
- Where you have notified us that you will be leaving a legacy to HOPE worldwide. This is a lifetime commitment and although we will provide you with regular opportunities to shape, control and review your communications from HOPE worldwide we will treat your consent as ongoing.
In all these circumstances you may unsubscribe from emails at any time. We will not send you promotional material if you tell us that you do not wish to receive it.
We will make it easy for you to tell us if you would like to receive marketing communications from us and hear more about our work. At the moment we only send marketing information by email, but we will keep you informed if we widen our channels to post or SMS/text messages.
We will only keep your promotional consent for a reasonable period of time having regard to the circumstances by which we gained your consent.
How and when we collect information about you
HOPE worldwide may collect your personal data in the following circumstances:
When you give it to us DIRECTLY
You may give us your personal data directly when you make a donation, sign up for one of our events, give your details to an authorised HOPE worldwide Representative, or purchase promotional material like T-shirts or when you communicate directly with us.
When you give it to us INDIRECTLY
You may give us your information indirectly when you use a fundraising site like Just Giving, Charity Checkout or Everyday Hero. These independent third parties will pass your data to HOPE worldwide where you have indicated that they can do so.
When you access HOPE worldwide’s Social Media
We might also obtain your personal data through your use of social media such as Face book, or Twitter, depending on your settings or the privacy policies of these social media and messaging services. To change your setting on these services please refer to their privacy notices, which will tell you how to do this.
When the information is publicly available
We might also obtain personal data about individuals who may be interested in giving major gifts to charities or organisations like HOPE worldwide.
What information might HOPE worldwide collect about you?
We only collect personal data relevant to the type of transactions you have with HOPE worldwide. We do not collect sensitive personal data.
How will Hope worldwide use your personal data?
We will use your personal information for administration reasons, including:
- Service administration. For example we may contact you about your tax status for gift aid collections
- To thank you for your donation and give details of how the donation will be used
- To respond to correspondence that you have entered into with us by email, social media or other forms of communication.
- To keep your data up to date and implement any instructions that you give us about how you want us to communicate with you.
- For promotional and fundraising reasons.
Will Hope worldwide share your personal information with anyone else?
We will only use your information within Hope worldwide for the purposes for which it was obtained. Hope worldwide will not under any circumstances share your personal data with a third party for their own marketing purposes.
How long will Hope worldwide keep your personal information?
We will hold your personal information for as long as necessary for the relevant activity.
For example, in order to comply with HMRC rules, we will keep a record of donations subject to gift aid for seven years.
If you request us not to contact you we will keep a record of your contact details in order to ensure that we comply with your request not to be contacted.
If you have provided your details because you are interested in leaving us a legacy then we may keep your information indefinitely to carry out legacy administration.
How to control what we send you or request we update your personal information?
The accuracy of your information is really important to us. We want to ensure that we communicate with you in ways that you are happy with.
If you wish to change how we communicate with you or update the information we hold, then please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected (in line with standard guidelines we may charge £10 for information requests.)
How Hope worldwide keeps your data safe?
We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details.
We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers and contractors.
How to raise privacy concerns?
If you would like more information please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to make a complaint about how we have used your data please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. You also have a right to make a complaint directly to the UK’s data protection authority at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
Dated: 10th May 2018